This 5-day, 40-hour certification course is a careful balance between lecture topics and hands-on lessons. This course is ideally suited to serve as an introduction to the techniques and applications of the treatment known as Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD), which was developed by Emil Vodder, Ph.D.
PLEASE NOTE: This course does NOT train therapists to treat patients with Lymphedema. Participants are educated on the applications of Manual Lymph Drainage pertaining to the pathologies listed below. For courses specific to Lymphedema, please see our Lymphedema Management Seminar (31 hours) or Complete Lymphedema Certification (135 hours).
This course will assist therapists in developing treatment sequences for the management of edema of various geneses including post-traumatic and post-surgical edema; as well as several pathologies such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, migraines, chronic pain reduction and others. During this course, the participants will learn to perform techniques that will assist patients and clients in general relaxation, health support and detoxification.
- History of the lymphatic system and MLD
- Basic anatomy and physiology of the lymphatic system
- Drainage pathways of the lymphatic system
- Pathophysiology of the lymphatic system
- Lymphatic insufficiencies and conditions that lead to the development of edema
- Difference between edema and lymphedema
- Indications and contraindications of MLD
- Basic strokes for the entire body and their effects
- Application of basic MLD sequences in healthy lymphatic systems
- Application of basic MLD to post-traumatic and post-surgical edema
- Application of basic MLD sequences to various pathologies (fibromyalgia, migraines, chronic fatigue syndrome)
This 5-day certification course is open to Licensed Healthcare Professionals or healthcare students.
The tuition for this course is $995.00. We offer an early registration discount of $100 if registered 60 days or more in advance. We also offer a 50% discount to full-time healthcare students enrolled in at least a 500-hour program. Full-time students must provide proof of enrollment with number of hours and graduation date. Full-time students should call to register.
To register for this class, simply click here. This will take you to our Schedule of Courses where you will be able to select the course of your choice and register. If you register online, your confirmation and receipt will be emailed to you within 24 business hours after registration.
If you would prefer to register via telephone, simply call our Admissions Representative at:
(800) 863-5935 x2 / (772) 589-3355 x2
We are available Monday-Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm EST.
Dates and Locations
The Academy of Lymphatic Studies now offers more classes in more locations, allowing the student to choose which location best serves their needs. Click here to see our current Schedule of Courses.
This course is 5 days in length (40 contact hours). The classroom hours are 8:00am – 5:00pm daily. There will be approximately one hour for lunch every day.
Continuing Education Credits (CEU's)
This course is 40 Contact Hours. CEU's are available. Each state and profession is different, so please contact our Admissions Department for more detailed information regarding CEU approvals. We are an approved provider for the NCBTMB.
What to Bring
- Two sheets to cover the treatment tables and draping.
- Pen/Pencil/Highlighters, as these may be useful for highlighting your manual.
All other class materials will be given to you on the first day of class.
What to Wear
Certain techniques that are practiced during classtime require direct contact with the skin. Please have the following items available for class labs:
- Ladies: Bathing suits, halter-tops, sports bras, shorts
- Gentlemen: shorts, or bathing suit.
It is recommended you wear these items under comfortable clothing. The days can be long, so we want you to be as comfortable as possible. You may also want to bring a light jacket with you to class. Classroom temperatures can be difficult to regulate.
Where to Go
The location/hotel information will be provided to you upon registration. This will have detailed information on the location and accommodations of the course, including directions, special rates, etc.